At the end of the movie, the mean guy Anton Ego tastes this dish made by Remy and relives a childhood memory of his mother making it for him.It's the same for me,this wholesome Summer dish takes me back to my chilhood. RATATOUILLE is so easy to make, so economical, so good for you and most importantly: so tasty that I thought I'd share its recipe and a couple of tips with you.
a few garlic cloves
2 yellow zucchini
2 green zucchini
1 jar of tomato sauce
herbs de Provence
1. wash, peel and dice all veggies.
2. pour olive oil in a large iron cast pan and saute the onions until they 're lightly caramelized.
3. add the crushed garlic ( do not overcook)
4.transfer to a big slow-cooker.
5.this is where trick #1 comes: saute each type of veggie individually, transferring them into the slow-cooker each time ( if you do not have a slow cooker transfer them into a large iron cast pan )
6.when all the veggies have been transferred into the slow-cooker, turn it on to "SLOW".
7. add the tomato sauce and half a cup of turbinado ( raw ) sugar.
8. add the coriander seeds , Herbes de Provence, salt and pepper and stir.
9. Put the lid on the cooker and go to the beach because Summer is almost over :(
10.The ratatouille is ready in a couple of hours, it needs to cook slowly which is why a slow cooker is perfect. It is both delicious eaten hot or cold with parmesan cheese on top and some fresh basil.It's even better the next day and the next and the next!
Store it in a glass jar in the fridge for up to a week.