Let me just say this is the EASIEST recipe EVER!So if you happen to have a few ripe mangoes and perhaps some peaches or apricots and you are willing to make and taste the yummiest jam ever, do keep on reading...
I've adapted a French recipe called Confiture de mangues.
Ingredients for about 3 1/2 jars of jam (1kl.300):
- 5 mangoes
- 2 to 3 peaches
- 700g.= 1 1/2 pounds of sugar (= half the weight of the fruits )
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 vanilla pod
1. In a big bowl put the diced mangoes + the seeds ( that's the trick, the seeds will naturally thicken the mix ) + the diced peaches + the juices+ the sugar. Cover and let rest for about 3 hours at room temperature.
2. After the 3 hours, cut the vanilla pod in half ( lengthwise ) add the seeds and the pod to the mix.
3. Put the fruit mix in a pot and bring to a boil. Cook another 30 MN. after boiling point stirring occasionally. Do not overcook.
4. After 30 MN. check the consistency by taking some jam on a spoon and letting it drip on a plate. The jam should not be too runny.
5. Remove the mango seeds and the vanilla pod. Mix the jam in a blender. Transfer into sterilized glass jars, close and turn them upside down onto a towel until they've cooled down.
It was snack time when I was finished and that meant trying some of this:
Gallianne lily cheerfully volunteered
Please let me know if you try it,and whether you're jamming with the kiddos, a friend or by yourself: have a very SWEET time and enjoy the process!